Tuesday 24 July 2007

BAKED FETA

Our kitchen is a frustrating place to be at the moment, I have been trying to take pictures but it is impossible. I normally rely on our bright under cupboard lights and cooker hood lights to light the worktop properly as our main lights are completely pathetic. However, a while ago one of our under cupboard lights went on the blink, literally. It flickered on and off before deciding whether to grace us with its presence while we prepared dinner and now it is just off and if we even try to switch it on in the hope that it will show a sign of life it interferes with our radio reception, and as BBC Radio 2 is our usual dinner accompaniment this is not good. Now, as if this wasn't annoying enough, our whole cooker hood has stopped working, no extractor fans and no lights. So we are in gloom and, as I'm sure you all know, gloom and digital cameras do not mix. Without photos I am never very inspired to post but after my recent long absence I decided that this lack of photos could not put me off.

On Saturday it was cold here, in a way that shouldn't happen at the end of July, with all the flooding in England recently I can't really complain but I do still feel pretty hard done by this summer. We went for a walk in town and got wet before deciding to go for a drink while we decided what to do about dinner and somehow found ourselves back at the old standby of lamb burgers in pitta bread but this time the burgers were flavoured with zahtar and the pittas were spread with baked feta for a salty taste of Greece. I have touched on baked feta once before but it deserves a place in the spotlight.

BAKED FETA

1 block of feta cheese
1/2 red onion finely chopped
Juice from 1/2 lemon
Drizzle of olive oil

Place the feta in a large square of tin foil and top with the onion, lemon juice and oil. Seal the foil parcel and sit it on a baking tray. Place in a hot oven (a precise temperature doesn't matter here as we're talking cheese softening not precise cookery so any medium/hot setting will do) and leave for 20 minutes before unwrapping and devouring. It is good as a dip or as a sandwich in pitta bread with salad. This is best eaten straight from the oven as it does harden up again eventually.

6 comments:

Janet said...

That sounds fantasic! I love feta... problem is, I might eat that entire block myself!!

kate said...

Now this is something that I should be able to make without any trouble ... provided I don't forget about it baking in the oven.

I am sorry to hear about all the rain that you have been having... even if you aren't flooded, it's discouraging not to have some sunshine in July. English garden bloggers are finding it hard this summer ... unlike there, we are mostly wishing for a few cooler or less humid days.

Kelly-Jane said...

Sounds like a good idea, mmm!

Anonymous said...

Baked feta is something I wouldn't have thought of. This sounds great!

pistachio said...

Ummmmm this sounds like something I should try :)

Sorry the weather's so awful for you, it really is the pits when the gloom and damp go on and on.

hugs
pi xxx

Gemma said...

Janet - 2 of us polish it off very easily, for some reason I find it all too easy to pretend that it isn;t bad for me!

Kate - nice to see you. We don't have a garden but my Mum's summer flowers were all blooming in April and now the garden doesn't know what time of year it is.

Kelly-Jane, Kristen and Pistachio - you should definitely try it, I was surprise by how successful this one is (and how addictive).

Gemma x